A Little Guide to Clothing your Hound
Guide to Clothing Your Hound
In general, pop a tee on my hounds when its 15 deg (60 F) or below. This is usually when we feel the need to pop long sleeves on myself.
- If their ears feel cold or if they are sleeping tightly curled up they are probably a bit chilly.
- When things start to get a wee bit cooler again, I will pop on a long sleeve tee or sweater.
- At night I pop on a long sleeve, snuggle sweater or a long john.
- Not all hounds like back legs. So a long sleeve tee or snuggle sweater is a good option for them.
- If your hound is newly adopted, clothes maybe a new concept to them. Ease them into it. They may have never had anything before. Start with a tee, move to a long sleeve tee then see if they will like back legs. Not all do. My girl hates them but my boys like them. Every hound is different.
Tip- play with their paws and see if they are OK with their legs being handled as you will need to pick up their front paws to pop them into a tee or sleeves.
How to put the Hound-Tee on
- The easiest way to put your Hound-Tee on is to place the garment over your hound through the main body opening.
- Then place their head through the neck opening.
- Lift the front paw behind the ankle joint and guide through the arm opening.
For Long Sleeves:
- Hold their paw and guide it down through sleeve to the cuff, making sure you cover their claws with your hand to make it easier to slide through.
- Pull the rest of the garment down and over their chest.
For Long Johns:
- Follow the above steps for Sleeves, but for their back legs, slide garment over to side and lift back leg and place through leg opening.
- Pull garment up and over to the other side and repeat.
- Align garment around the tail.
- Gather the garment up under the front legs.
- Grab the tail of the garment and pull this backwards over their head and down to the floor.
- Step your hound out.
Long Johns - Back leg on and off tips.
Pop the front on like a tee, then slide one back leg down to the floor and pop your hounds leg through in a stepping motion. You do not need to lift the leg much just enough to step it back into the leg hole.
Pull the garment up then slide the other leg over and do the same. Your long john should just sit above the tail bone joint.